A Beauty Blog...

Follow My So Kohl'd Life on Instagram

Friday, 17 March 2017

Skincare | The Ordinary Review


Today's skincare review has come from another social media inspired purchase- I just can't seem to resist when it comes to hearing about much hyped products on Twitter and Instagram! Much like what happened with the Violet Voss Holy Grail palette (read more about that here) I heard that The Ordinary Skincare had taken the beauty industry by storm, and that products were flying off the shelves, so I had to get involved and bought three products from the range. 


Dubbed as 'clinical formulations with integrity,' The Ordinary really does seem like a skincare brand with a difference for a few reasons. Prices start at just £5, however unlike many other lower priced skincare, all products contain 'hero' active ingredients that are well known, well proven, but are usually prevalent in higher end products, with much higher price points. The packaging is slick and unfussy, and the product names scream 'expensive'- in fact, the range would not look out of place in Selfridges beauty hall alongside products with much larger price tags thanks to its stripped back nature. Talking of the stripped back aspect, the brand not only ensures that all products are free from 'unnecessary' extras such as fragrance, but they are also free from parabens, sulphates and mineral oil, and do not test on animals.


Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%- £5.50
First up, and with a very fancy sounding name, is this lightweight cream which helps to brighten the complexion. The active ingredient is azelaic acid which is found in grains, and alongside its brightening properties, it also helps to reduce the look of blemishes, improve skin texture and it acts as an antioxidant. I use it every morning before applying a primer/ makeup, and although it is designed to be used in the evening as well, I prefer to use a heavier night cream before I go to bed. My skin feels instantly perkier and more radiant after application, and I like to leave it to really sink into the skin before carrying on with my routine. This would also be the perfect product to use on 'no makeup days' as it adds a slight mattifying effect, and blurs imperfections slightly, giving a 'your skin but better' finish. 

Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG- £5.80
The dark circles under my eyes are the bane of my life. I'm forever on the hunt for products that will help them to fade, and applying layers of concealer to cover them is part of my everyday routine, so it's probably no surprise to hear that I snapped this product up with no hesitation! It contains 5% concentration of caffeine, alongside EGCG- clinical trials show that when used topically, these ingredients reduce the look of puffiness and dark circles- hallelujah! EGCG is UV sensitive, but the brown bottle protects the fluid from any light, and it has a pipette lid for easy and hygienic application. Using my ring finger and light dabbing motions, I apply a small amount to my under eyes morning and night- the consistency is like a light serum which is heavier than I expected, but on the skin it really sinks in well. After using for a couple of months, my dark circles are still visible (I'd need a miracle to get rid of them altogether!) but aren't as prominent, and my eyes definitely feel less puffy. 

High Spreadability Fluid Primer- £5.50
I can be fussy when it comes to primers. I've tried a fair few over the years, and often found them either too thick, or not compatible with my foundation, which can result in a 'sliding off face' situation. The name of this primer caught my eye and, as imagined, it is extremely lightweight and blendable, and leaves my skin slightly dewy and velvety soft. Like the caffeine solution, the bottle has a pipette lid, and after cleansing and moisturising I apply 2-3 drops all over the face. Not only does this help keep my makeup in place all day, but it hydrates the skin, as well. It's free from alcohol and oil, plus it's also 100% cruelty free and vegan.



The verdict? I'm really impressed with all of the products I've been trying, and already have some others from the range on my wish list- the advanced retinoid has caught my eye, along with the Matrixyl 10% as both products have anti- aging properties, but to be honest, all of the products sound amazing. The prices are so competitive, and I love that they all contain active ingredients, so you feel like you are improving your skin whilst using them, and not just putting another unnecessary layer on your face. 

Have you tried any products from The Ordinary?

For all the latest updates, give My So Kohl'd Life a little follow on InstagramTwitter Bloglovin.'


SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I've just placed my first order for 5 products from The Ordinary so I cant wait to try them all out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I've been seeing these products everywhere lately and I'm also a sucker for giving into the hype but I've really wanted to hear more about them after someone has actually used them for awhile! So that being said this has been really useful and I definitely want to try at least the primer now! Such affordable prices

    Ellie x

    www.elliesbitsofbeauty.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy someone has blogged about this brand!
    byob-beauty.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig