A Beauty Blog...

Follow My So Kohl'd Life on Instagram

Friday, 24 February 2017

Makeup | The *Sold Out* Violet Voss Holy Grail Eyeshadow Palette | Review & Swatches


It's crazy how much seeing or hearing about a product on social media can literally push you into buying it, and I have to say that is definitely what happened to me with the Violet Voss Holy Grail palette. 

Having heard pretty much every single beauty blogger in the world talk about how it was sold out everywhere, and also having heard some whispers that it wasn't ever going to be available in the UK again, well, it seemed that this palette was like gold dust. Despite this, initially, I wasn't that interested. Sure, it looked like a lovely palette, but seeing as I probably wouldn't ever have the chance to buy it, I was sure I could live without it. Then I got the email. It was back on Beauty Bay, and was limited to ONE PER CUSTOMER. This, to me, made it even more exclusive, and I speedily added it to my basket and proceeded to the checkout. 

Let's talk more about the palette. Containing twenty shades, a mix of matte and metallic, the Holy Grail covers pretty much every bronze, brown, or berry toned shadow you could want, with a few oranges thrown in for good measure. The shadows feel almost velvety to the touch and all are highly pigmented, even the metallic shades. I often find that metallic shades which have glitter in them don't always look the same on the skin as they do in the pan and you end up with a bit of glitter on the eye and not much colour, or vice versa, however you can see from the swatches in this post that the HG palette doesn't do this at all. Even though they are very pigmented, the powders are buildable if you want a really heavy look, and once applied, they stay put all day long- I don't use an eyeshadow primer, just powder my eyelid before applying the shadow, and the colour does not budge. 



All of the shadows have cute names such as 'on fleek,' 'hashtag,' 'ru kitten me' and 'thanks a latte,' which I think makes it all the more adorable, and all are housed within a holographic protective palette case. This definitely isn't one for your handbag as it's just too big, however when it comes to holidays or weekends away, Holy Grail is probably the only palette you need as you have every shade you need tol take take you from a daytime neutral brown contoured eye, to sexy and smoky for the evening. 

For an everyday contoured eye, I use 'thanks a latte' all over the moveable part of the eyelid, followed by a mix of 'bestie' and 'brownie points' in the crease. I make sure I really blend well so there are no harsh lines then smudge 'brownie points' under my bottom lashes to finish. I don't tend to use eyeliner during the day as I prefer a more natural look, but will use loads of mascara to frame my eyes- at the moment I'm loving the falsies push up angel mascara by Maybelline.

The great thing about this palette is that all colours compliment each other and blend together really well, so you can easily take transform this everyday eye and create a more look for the evening in a few easy steps. To do this, I apply 'bat my eyes' to the outer corner of the eyelid, then 'teddy bear' into the crease and below the eye. I then blend everything out so it's really smudgy, and then put 'cool beans' in the middle of the eyelid and blend in- as it's metallic it gives the eye a more 3D look. For the evening I will always use liquid liner along the top lash line, and use black kohl on the waterline to really frame the eyes and make them stand out.

L-R: Crystal, Ploof, Thanks A Latte, Transition, Hashtag, Awesome Sauce, Bestie, Toffee, Chill, How U Doin'.
L-R: Bat My Eyes, Cool Beans, R U Kitten Me, So Jelly, On Fleek, Brownie Points, Teddy Bear, Glamping, Cranberry Splash, Wine N Dine,



Unfortunately, this palette is now sold out online (with the exception of inflated prices on eBay) but I'm sure Beauty Bay will re stock it soon, seeing as it's so popular. If you're looking for a similar palette in the meantime, however, the Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance 14 shade palette is meant to be amazing as well, and contains similar colours and tones as the Holy Grail. I love all of the ABH products I've tried in the past so I'm sure it lives up to the hype!

What is your favourite eyeshadow palette?


For all the latest updates, give My So Kohl'd Life a little follow on InstagramTwitter Bloglovin.'
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Oh! This palette is looking really good. The toffee colour is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These shades look absolutely incredible! I've wanted this palette for so long, but no luck in getting in. Thanks so much for this post!

    - Chloe
    chloetommo.co.uk
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig